The City is home to a significant number of students coming from neighboring Cordillera provinces as well as from other North Luzon provinces. The student population in higher education institutions located in the City totaled 62,231 in 2000 from 61,594 in 1998. Of the 33 public and private HEIs in the region, 14 are located in Baguio City. The continuing influx of students to the City as well as the increasing number of HEIs locating in the City only attest to the City's stature as an educational center in North Luzon.
Overall, the city has maintained a high literacy rate of 98 percent and an illiteracy rate of a little less than 2 percent.
Total enrollee for all levels for the school year was 137,289 students, indicating a 1.32 percent increase compared to the previous school year. College level comprises 49.21 percent of the total, while the elementary and secondary share 29.87 and 20.92 percent respectively. To cater to the enrollees are 209 public and private schools for all levels, where there are 54 pre-elementary, 66 elementary schools 43 secondary public and private schools, 2 schools for the physically handicapped children and 7 universities and colleges and 37 vocational schools. These accommodate not only Baguio and Benguet residents but also nearby towns of the adjoining regions.
The languages spoken in Baguio are Ilocano, English, Kankana-ey, Ibaloi, Itogon, Tagalog, Chinese, German, Dutch, Flemish, and Korean. Baguio's youth majority in the population has given it a distinct flavor different from those of other cities in the Philippines.
There are six (6) colleges and universities in Baguio. These are the University of the Philippines College, University of Baguio, Saint Louis University, University of the Cordilleras (Previously the Baguio Colleges Foundation), Baguio Central University, Pines City Colleges, Philippine Military Academy and Brent International School.
|University of Philippines - Baguio City
Established through the initiative of the UP alumni in Baguio and Benguet, the University of the Philippines in Baguio was inaugurated as a degree-granting unit of the University on 22 April 1961. A land grant worked out by alumni, the City Council,and by then UP President Vicente Cinco situated the College on its present location, a pine clad hill offering a panoramic view of Baguio.
For more info visit: www.upb.edu.ph
|University of Baguio
UB was a dream in the hearts of a very enterprising couple, who were teachers par excellence, Dr. Fernando G. Bautista, who has always been addressed "Tatay," and the late Mrs. Rosa C. Bautista, who was always addressed "Nanay,"- appellations that depict the familial atmosphere and culture that have always pervaded the University of Baguio.
For more info visit: www.ubaguio.edu/
|Saint Louis University
Today, SLU is the largest university north of Manila with about 20,000 university students in its campus located in the heart of the City. Its reputation for excellence attracts students and scholars not only from the Philippines but from other countries as well. It has sustained itself throughout the past ninety years to become one of the top centers of academic excellence in the Philippines that meet international standards in tertiary education. Most of its programs, from the elementary to the graduate level, have received the highest level of accreditation in the country.
For more info visit: www.slu.edu.ph
|University of the Cordilleras
Baguio Colleges started with teacher training and liberal arts courses in its early years at the Antipolo Building along Session Road - a building that still stands today. Steadily from there, the school expanded its curriculum to include courses in Law, Engineering and Commerce, while its classrooms and offices spilled out in the adjacent Lopez Building. By 1950, it opened a Graduate School with an impeccable standard that remains widely esteemed to this day.
For more info visit: www.uc-bcf.edu.ph
|Philippine Military Academy
The Philippine Military Academy began with the establishment of the Academia Militar on October 25, 1898 at Malolos, Bulacan by virtue of a decree issued by the first president of the young Philippine republic, General Emilio Aguinaldo. The Academia was a school that awarded its graduates regular commissions in the armed forces. The Academia existed up to 20 January 1899, when hostilities between the Americans and Filipinos erupted.
For more info visit: www.pma.ph